Tuesday 28 October 2014

Balancing Blogging and School

{photo credit - weheartit.com but edited by myself}

 


School can be very difficult on its own, homework and revision takes up lots of time and concentration. But when you throw in blogging as well things can get pretty stressful. I don't think people who aren't bloggers appreciate the time and effort that goes into a post, it can take hours of writing and photographing before the publish button is pressed. Being a teen blogger means I have to balance school with my blog and it can be very difficult at times, but I try to organise and schedule everything to help me keep focused and concentrate on the important stuff like exams. I'm going to share with you my tips on how to stay organised with school work and your blog!

Keep a blog schedule
I keep a notebook with a schedule of the date of when each blog post is going to be published. This is really handy because I can plan ahead so I don't fall behind on blogging. I also keep a tick box section on the right of the notebook so I can track down what I need to do for the post. As you can see in my picture of my notebook, I have the headers P E W C S for my tick box. These stand for Photos, Edited, Writing, Checked, Scheduled so I can keep track of what I have/ haven't done so I can keep organised.

Write posts in advance
I also write most of my posts in the holidays or whenever I have a free day. I then schedule them to go up whenever I have set them to. This is helpful because I can easily write and finish a post and schedule it for the future and not worry about pressing publish. Writing posts in advance is very useful and I really advice it! School holidays are the best time to do this.

Homework and Revising comes first!
Honestly, if you have homework to do, do it before blogging! Revision for exams are much more important and I mean this in the nicest way. Your readers will understand if you need some time to focus on your studies, you don't need to worry about getting your post up by 6:00 as your readers wont be mad! I'm sure you would rather not post than failing your exams! Another tip is do your homework once you get set it, I know everyone says it but honestly it is very helpful! It means you can get it out of the way and not pile it up so that you have too much.

Take photos in bulk
When you have good lighting, use that time to take LOTs of photos for your posts, I usually take about 4 posts-worth of photos at once so that I don't need to keep coming back and taking photos. It will save you time as you wont have to keep setting it up for every time you need to take photos.

Take a break if you need it!
Blogging should be a hobby and not a chore. So only blog if you are really in the mood! No one will mind if you don't post one week, your readers will understand. So sometimes it is necessary to take a break. Try to fit blogging around your school work as it should be fun and enjoyable, not stressful!

10 comments:

  1. This is really helpful!! I am on holiday at the moment and plan to write up lots of posts for the next coupe of weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is actually so, so helpful. I know exactly how you feel, trying to keep up with blogging while juggling your GCSEs is really hard... I think I might have to steal your notebook idea haha xxx

    Style, Sequins & Stripy Tights

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for writing this blog post. It has really helped me and I will most certainly use all of your tips. Your blog is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I started college I've found it so hard to keep up to date with blogging, these tips are really helpful x

    daisy-drops

    ReplyDelete